A nurse is a healthcare professional who is responsible for providing care and support to patients in a variety of settings. Nurses may work in hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, or other healthcare facilities, and they may work with patients of all ages and with a variety of health conditions.
The specific duties of a nurse may vary depending on their role and the setting in which they work. Some common responsibilities may include:
- Assessing patient health and needs, including taking vital signs and administering medications
- Developing and implementing care plans for patients
- Providing patient education and support
- Collaborating with other healthcare professionals to coordinate patient care
- Administering treatments and procedures
- Documenting patient progress and treatment plans
Nurses may also work with patients to promote health and prevent illness, and they may provide support to families and caregivers. Some nurses may specialize in certain areas, such as pediatrics, gerontology, or mental health, and may have additional training and expertise in those areas.